Pages

Thursday, March 2, 2017

On the eve of #hapiday2017


Photo: from HAPI Facebook Page

Tomorrow is the first ever homeschooling day in The Philippines with the theme, "Building Up The Philippines One Family at a Time." I am looking forward to meet the others who are coming over in the little gathering I organized. Its been 11 years since we took our eldest and second child out of school and did the whole thing ourselves. But we were not an island. The children joined various activities and were up and about that an older family member once commented that it was probably less hectic for me if I just send my kids to school. I don't agree with him though. 

When we started homeschooling I was happy and I felt safe to be below the radar and not bother with accreditation. My thinking was, if the whole Philippines were a family, then we are definitely very dysfunctional and extremely delayed in our actions. But in the tragedy that we are in, there springs hope and resilience and love that somehow balance things out. Since there are many people who can't go to school for various reasons, there must be a way for a person who does not have a formal education to get back or get into  the system. I figured, we (our family) would not bother the system, as in DeptEd, as we are only we are only one family and there are so many others out there who certainly need the resources and intervention of DeptEd. So, I am not going to be samok-samok.

Now there are so many families who are homeschooling and since communication is much faster now than ever, here I am on the eve of the first ever National Homeschool Day. On top of my head are the following thoughts:
1. I am happy we took this route. I am thankful that my daughters' teacher in Brainworks School who was supportive of our desire to try out homeschooling 11 years ago.
2. I appreciate and value the freedom that we have as independent homeschoolers. No curriculum provider meant spending money on classes/ activities that mattered when it mattered to my children.
3. What to do with senior highchool for my second child. Its its about 3 or 4 years away for my 3rd child so I am not yet thinking about Senior Highschool for her or for our youngest just yet. I trust that things would have sorted itself out by then.
4. I hope it does not rain tomorrow, so we will be comfortable in the venue.
5. I should wear any of the following colors: blue, red , yellow or white. Thanks to my fellow homeschooling mom Stifanny for letting me know about the outfit request in the HAPI Facebook page

5. I wonder if we will exceed 5 families tomorrow?

Good evening and tomorrow it's #hapiday2017...

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...