Pages

Monday, January 30, 2017

What if, after starting a lesson/ activity or learning a new topic, your child loses interest?

Part 3 of 5 Questions received after the Philippine Homeschool Conference 2016.

Do you convince them to carry on or do you just allow them to move on?

I do not persuade them to carry on. It might just be a step as high as an ant hill but if they see it as a useless climb up Everest, why carry on? We don't have grades or quizzes unless we are playing and I don't keep tab of the scores. I am talking about academic and creative pursuits, not housework or taking care of pets or handling relationships/ friendships.

We encourage our children to write their thoughts (essay, poem, diary, blog). They all know that we look forward to reading what essay or poem(s) they comes up with. Which brings me to a realisation that I haven't read a written piece from my eldest for sometime now! There are no grades or prices for a job well done.  We talk about what they have written and sometimes point out misspelled words, grammar, capitalisations and punctuation marks. But the best correction will come from them in the future when they look at their work and see what they missed. They might even expand the work they started years ago...
Photo of my second daughters work that I read and kept.
No need for red marks for the budding writer/ artist.
When I want to do something, I tell my children why I want them to do it or why I think its important that they try it. Right now, I am planning to work on the human body, just a short part about the nervous system. This is a subject that I don't think my 12 and 8 year old will pick up on their own. I want to do this because I think it will be useful for them and I found some good materials that we already have. Its up to them to read more or move on from there. Maybe I will make this our theme for February. What could be a good field trip for this? Now I am excited! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...