Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

Standardised Test As The Need Arise (Part 2 of 2)

We only have so much hours in a day! Maybe our lack of structure in our homeschooling will be a liability, so far I don't think it is. One thing I am sure of, my children will have something to say about this later on. For now, there is so much to do and there are so many enriching ways to spend one's time other than reviewing for a standardised test for the sake of having a letter or numerical grade or grade level.
Here's my 15 year old and my 11 year old right after breakfast. Painting because they want. There was no conversation or lecture about art appreciation just available art materials and time on their hands.

In our home, they can decide on how they want to spend the time they have. We have routines, rituals and expectations and this fill out most of  my children’s time until they start having ideas of their own. Because we are loosely structured no two days are alike. By deciding how they spend and allocate their time, I think they begin to put value on what is important to learn and how important it is to them. 
Here is my little boy humming while drawing as I blog away. 
When my children pick up "work" and stay with it I do not disturb them! I don't see the value in imposing a math time for somebody who has already decided to practice soccer or is browsing a book. 

It is also important that there are clear expectations. For example we expect the children do Math, but I do not grade them for this. I ask them where they are and they are free to ask me when they do not understand something. So unless they see the need for standardised test I think it will be a waste of our time to prepare for one because there is only so little time in a day. 

2 comments:

  1. Same here Lex. I do not see the need to give exams.Josh only has worksheets to answer. Then he spends the rest of the day doing what he wants: read a book ( if in the mood, hehehe), go outside and just wander around or just pick up some stuff and play with it. I let him take CEM test once just to check if he learned something and I was not disappointed. I like it this way. We are both not pressured and we are both happy. :)

    Happy homeschooling to us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ody, thank you for leaving a comment. And yes no need to create pressure. Happy homeschooling to you and Josh.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...