Pages

Monday, October 12, 2015

Independent Homeschooling and Swimming

I talked my third daughter and my son into swimming class in the hope that my son's asthma attacks will lessen. After 30 sessions my son had enough of it and had no asthma attacks yet, while my 3rd daughter has become so into it.

She showed me this tear jerking video, here. If you clicked on the link and watched the video you can wipe your tears now. My dear girl has joined her first competition last July and is now looking forward to her second competition at the end of the month. I am excited for her because I can see how much she puts into swimming.

I did a little research about the Palarong Pambansa because my girl wanted to join the qualifying round a week or so ago. I found out that as an independent homeschooler my daughter can not join the Palarong Pambansa. Why? Because: " 1. The Palarong Pambansa Program is an annual multi-level national scholastic athletic competition conducted by the Department of Education and participated in by the elementary and secondary pupils / students both from public and private schools." You can read more about that here.

Being an independent homeschooler, my children are OSY [Out of School Youth]. I explained this to my daughter. Her quick fix reaction was that she ought to go to school. I pointed out that sometimes her teammates miss swimming because they have school activities/ exams, while in her case, her activities can adjust to her swimming schedule. I told her that we can't be included in activities all the time. The fact is, as she grows older she will have to refuse activities she wants to join for a number of reasons and because she has to prioritise. Good thing is that she can join the Batang Pinoy.

I told her, that by all accounts she is lucky to be 11 years old now at this time and place. The Palarong Pambansa started in  1948 (source: here ), while I could not find the year when Batang Pinoy started. Anyway, had she been 11 years old where we are in 1938, she would not have the opportunity for Palarong Pambansa and most likely, Batang Pinoy would not be in place. We talked a bit about how it would have been like where we are and what other obstacles would be there for someone like her, a young girl who likes swimming in 1938.

For now, she better be thankful and make the most of being an OSY swimmer. Hope you have a good week ahead dear reader and you may you get to do the most where you are this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...