Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Philippine Flag Cards

Last month we made a Philippine flag card game that my son suggested, here. For academics, this should cover Philippine History, a bit of geography, art, reading, writing skills, and a bit of math.

As for me,  it was a an excellent practice in acceptance and tolerance. I had to suppress my urge to take control of the project and come up with a "look" for the cards. I wanted to type the words and have a uniform look but that meant that I would limit my son's contribution to colouring what I would have drawn. Anyway, it was his idea and he does not seem to mind playing with messy cards. Because I let go and accepted that we were not going to have a finish product that looks store bought, we got to finish making our cards and play our first game less than 2 hours after we started our first drawing.

How does the card game go?
First,  you must read the book Bandilla, here. Each flag has 2 partner cards with a fact: date, name of the flag etc.  If you have played the card game 1, 2, 3 pass then that's it.  Each player gets 3 random cards and each player passes a card to the player on his right. And once you have all 3 partner card you shout flag.

The more you play the more you get to memorise which cards go together. Its wonderful watching the little boy win! And I can't believe how little I know about Philippine History!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...