Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2015

A Lot of Subjects in One Story Alone

Here is an  exciting article about a development in Finland's education system and it says, "By 2020, the country plans to phase out teaching individual subjects such as maths, chemistry and physics, and instead teach students by 'topics' or broad phenomena, so that there's no more question about "what's the point of learning this?" A question raised by one of the funniest and creative people in my 4th year high school class (1995) to our dedicated Physics teacher. More than freedom in the classroom, the article is a boost for me!!! Now I am not sure if what Finland has in mind is what we are doing here at home.

I always say that I didn't bring school home and one of the reasons is that I don't teach like a teacher in a classroom. Not because I don't want to, but because it seems awfully silly! I also do not give tests, grades, and make lesson plans ahead, I tried a bit, but life always interrupts this attempt. I plan with the kids and we sometimes get carried away! My older children are now more sensible than the 2 younger ones in terms of project scale and time. We usually cross over and overlap subjects, because to begin with we did not divide the books we read into subjects. So, how does this work for our family?

Right now I am reading "Shaking The Family Tree"  to L (11 years old) and Nh (7 years old in 4 weeks) . I have read this book to my two older children before and I think they read some of it on their own too.  In my head the book should account for the subject Philippine History. Although it can be World History, Reading, a bit of Geography and Language. Anyway, I don't divide them anymore and tell them that we are learning all these subjects.

In the story "Fate and My Father" by Maria Cristina Duarte Obles, we were able to talk about currency and inflation = Economics. And wounds and infection which my 2nd daughter As will make a power point report that she said she will present by Saturday night, this should cover Science right?

How much is P2,000.00?
In the story, the dad of the author bought a coconut for 2,000.00 Japanese Peso.
To get more from the stories, we (mostly L, Nh and me) decided yesterday to have a field trip on Friday, that's tomorrow. I want to share our itinerary with you now as I am super excited, but it seems unwise to post online my where abouts for tomorrow. I am pretty sure we will be home by lunch time if we leave the house at exactly 8:00 am tomorrow morning.

I told my husband we should also go to Corregidor Island because of  Lalim Hidalgo Lim's, "Silver, the Color of My Mother's Hair". It does not have to be now of course, but sometime in the future. Here is a post I wrote back in 2011. I was asked, "How do you teach your kids? And what if they do not listen?"


P.S  I am not sure my teenagers will be joining the field trip tomorrow. I invited both of them but still didn't get a reply. So moms with young kids, enjoy every second with your little ones they won't be clingy and eager beaver to go with you forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...