Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Struggling Writer

My little boy can play with his Lego for the whole morning! Complete with building something, followed by conversations between his Lego Men, crashing sounds, explosion, flying etc.
Since I do not want to be an intruder but I so want him to start writing and counting. I sit on the floor with him and talk about what he is doing. For a few weeks now I am successful at getting him to count and write. And he is eager too. He likes to talk a lot!!!

At the very start of this he told me the names of his Lego men and I told him that he should write his name and then I will write the name of his Lego men. And he replied, "No , I do not want to write I am still playing. I will just say my name."
So I told him about the movie I saw when I was a child about a man who does not know how to read and write and this mean guy forces him to sell his horse by forcing his signature on a piece of paper. And since the whole place/ town knows that this guy does not know how to write, the mean guy just forced his hand to write an X and everybody in the place/ town believed the mean guy.
So we went on talking about the horse and the man who can not write and property and selling and stealing and his Lego horse. And from then on I have a willing, struggling writer. Not the book kind of writer but the ABC learning to write writer. My goal is he gets to write his name before the year ends.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Just found your blog. Thank you for giving us a peek into your days!

    I really admire your courage to unschool for so long. We've been HSing for more than 2 years and more and more, I want to unschool (but can't, the only reason my husband agreed was because we found an umbrella school for HSing in the Phils) because if left to their own, my kids would rather play all the time but being enrolled and having deadlines to fulfill seem to stifle them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Athena. I am so happy you found my blog. You are absolutely right about playing. My children seem to play all day long! There are even days that our conversation is about the house they are building (aka mess all over the room) for a family of dolls. The younger they are the less academics and more play. Based on my limited experience if they find meaning in the academic work then there is no friction. Thank you for your generous words and may your instincts be your guide.

      Delete
  2. Hi Alex. How old is he na ba? I will message you na lang. :) Read your post and I can somehow relate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're happy, well - you can't imagine how happy I was to find a Filipino unschooling family! May I give a suggestion? Can you post a Categories link on the sidebar? I can't read everything in one visit but want to find posts using topics/tags instead of scrolling through chronologically. Blessings to you and your family ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Athena, I will work on your suggestion. For sure it will take me a while as I am super slow with this blogging thing :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...