Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 1 with a Brace

We got As a brace! Today is the first day she will be on a brace! Ideally she gets to wear it 23 out of 24 hours. I wanted to blog about the people we met at the bracing center Orthopedic Frey Far East Inc. after meeting them. I called this center back in February to ask about how they make the brace and how much it would cost. They said we needed a doctor's prescription to get a brace. I just want to look around, that's why I called. I was not serious about getting a brace, then. The doctor we were seeing back in January/ February felt that a brace at that time is too soon, he wanted to "wait and see". He describe how a brace will be made, how As will be fitted with a body cast etc etc. My husband agreed with the doctor that a brace was a bit extreme at that time and he wanted therapy. I wanted brace and therapy right away and whatever else is out there that my help my dear sweet girl.

Fast forward to 8 months later, numerous emails and 2 long distance phone calls, we are now seeing our 6th doctor and 4 x rays later, we are getting As a brace.

Here's As getting a body scan. The scanner had to be flown in from Cebu, this way As will not need a body cast. This convenient scanning is included in the price.

We got As arch supports too for her shoes. That's Jimbo from Orthopedic Frey getting a cast.


Group picture! I told As to enjoy her brace. I felt silly saying it but I meant it with all my heart! I want her to make the most of the experience. The guy from Cebu has a prosthetic leg and the young lady behind the counter also has a missing leg and is wearing a prosthetic leg. I want As to be positive and open like them! I wish now that we went to the center earlier even just to look. I might have been much more calmer. It was also Jimbo who pointed out to us that As has a flexible flat foot and we might want to get her arch supports.

(Update. Dec. 4, 2012. The Therapist in SOS Scoliosis Center agreed that As need arch supports and that the arch supports made and suggested by Jimbo of Orthopedic Frey are very good.)


I wish the following were included or built into the cost of the brace:
1. Torso Socks. I think at least 3 torso socks should be included and priced into the cost of the brace as you need it to be able to actually wear the brace. After all no matter how good the scanning and the brace is, its up to the wearer to comply. So why not put in the torso socks, its needed after all.
2. In brace x ray. Not required at all. I think it should be for how else can we be sure that the brace is working.
3. It would be cool if there was a meeting of families/ children who will be wearing a brace or is wearing a brace, specially for As age group.
Here we are Day 1 with a brace! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...