Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

From Bat to Cat

I love homeschooling, how things seem natural and continuous and connected etc etc etc...But golly me!  We have another pet!!! Last week up until Tuesday we were learning about bats. As and L wanted a quiz from the book we were using and so we wrapped things up with a quiz. It seemed way more calmer, logical and realistic than the first suggestion they made which was to catch a bat and keep it as a pet!!!
Last night there was a squeaky sound outside our house and L insisted it must be a bat. This morning as we all hopped into the car to take big sister Am to school, the squeaking was still on. So L concluded it could be that the bat was trapped or its flight membrane isn't functioning. About 30 minutes later we are back and L went closer to where the sound was coming from and found a tiny dirty kitten.
Now she wants to keep it!!! I recall what it was like for me more that 20 years ago, when we were living in the Matina area, I was walking to school and hearing what I thought/ believed must be a Philippine Eagle but was really a black and white kitten shivering in the vacant lot. I wanted to pick it up and run home and care for the kitten but the school bell was ringing and I can't be late!!!
"Oh mommy please it needs help!" plus "Its so cute,I feel sorry it lost its mommy!" How can I resist?

The kitten's eyes were shut and it had soil in it and soil in its nose- not attractive at all! Next thing I know I was feeding it with a syringe and next i gave it a quick bath. My dear husband suggested that I should use warm water since the poor thing was left alone all night and must be cold. I kinda thought of that but brushed it aside thinking, that human babies have survived unnecessary separation from mothers, immediate cord clamping etc etc, this kitten can take it!!!

Since I have to go out this morning to pick up a friend and head to the hospital in search with all hope for the right people who can help a young mother who has a bad bad mastitis case. I left instructions with As and L while NH hoovered excitedly.
 Just like my other TO DO instructions, this one got stuck on the ref door- this is important: feeding plan. Okay, I know 1 oz is a whole lot but I thought there will be lots of spills. When I arrived home my "nurses" reported to me that the kitten does not want to feed! And slept a lot! Of course!!!
  



So this is more or less Day 1 with our new pet "Blue Eyes". Yes she has blue eyes, a revelation after we were able to take the soil off her eye slits. I told L that keeping Blue Eyes is my birthday gift for her. She said yes!!!
So now I am off to pick up my eldest girl and then to The POD, its the last class for Batch 1-A 2012.

1 comment:

  1. Sigh... another addition to our growing 'menagerie'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...