Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

My Breastfeeding Textmates

It's great that we have a week in the whole year to celebrate breastfeeding all over the world and we have the whole year to work for it, stay at it and spread the joy and benefits of building a breastfeeding culture where ever we may be, week after week until the next breastfeeding week.

I am so thrilled with World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action Breastfeeding Week theme. I would like to share this:

Inspired after viewing Lamaze International webinar "Hospital Practices That Support Breastfeeding", Erin Murray, MSPH, RD, public health and nutrition consultant. I started giving my mobile number, as a text hot line for mothers and fathers who attend the Brokenshire Woman's Center Saturday Couples Class. Around here we prefer text messaging, rather than calling. Last year I decided to tally the questions too.

I made it clear that I am not a lactation consultant but just a mother 4 who have breastfed and read (still reading) as much as I can, therefore I can not prescribe medications, charge a fee etc... And if I do not know the answer to their question I will tell them I do not know and try my best to look it up or refer them to somebody else.

My 3 main apprehension were:
  1. What if I can not answer a question satisfactorily. And could not find data or can't find or can't refer the question to a qualified person.
  2. What if there is a serious problem that can not be solved. 
  3. And what if there will be some miscommunication and the mom or dad will get upset with me?
I decided to not get carried away with my imaginings and push through with giving my phone number since a lot of the breastfeeding questions I get from my Childbirth Preparation Class Students and friends are most basic and very rarely needed a medical intervention.I also ask the group during the talk how many have access to Internet and some hands go up, I share the sites I so love and appreciate:
My favourite Philippine based breastfeeding blog, Chronicles of a Nursing Mom by a mom from my home town. And if you have facebook you ought to like the page and leave a line or two.
For breastfeeding gadgets, BabyMama, so far the most reasonably priced and excellent quality products I have found. You can even join in the conversation here.
Also most helpful sites are La leche League and Kellymom along with Articles by Dr Jack Newman. And they may leave questions/ comments/ concerns with local mom to mom breastfeeding support group facebook page.

I have 124 text mates from June 2010 to May 2011. Only new mobile numbers were recorded and if they did not give their name I only record the number which kinda made the record keeping a little tricky. I'll post more on this after I share it at the Brokenshire Health Ministries Breastfeeding Culmination Activity on August 26 at 1:30 in the afternoon at the Emma Noreen Hall. I need some help, Can I save a graph from Excel and convert it to jpeg? How can I post graphs here in my blog?



***

celebrate-wbw-npn-450

I’m celebrating World Breastfeeding Week with Natural Parents Network!

You can, too — link up your breastfeeding posts from August 1-7 in the linky below, and enjoy reading, commenting on, and sharing the posts collected here and on Natural Parents Network.

(Visit NPN for the code to place on your blog.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...