Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

A Look Back at Our Decision. Homeschooling

"Should we homeschool?" I asked my husband this question more that a hundred times. He was all for it. He's standard line was "Let's just try for a year." We asked my daughter's teacher, Red Amparo and she was all for it. I surf the net day and night while my children were in school: pros and cons, materials, activities, approaches and prayed for it. At that time I thought I covered everything one could/ should know about homeschooling.

We had two compelling reasons for wanting to home school or to not send our kids to school, and they were (are): to have more time with the kids and to save up on tuition fee expenses.

When my husband and I were deliberating on this, my considerations were:
Will it be fair for my daughters?
Will we really get to save?
I told my self then:
This is going to be fun. And it is.
We can go malling on Mondays. We sure do. I love the parking on monday mornings and I take them around when I am on errands.
We'll go swimming every morning. Not anymore.
We'll have more money and energy for extra curricular activities (still very true) and vacation (we are planning another one and there's no way we could afford one if the kids stayed in school).
I did not think of, but should have considered:
 DepEd requirements, although blogs and websites mentioned about this, I just thought it did not apply in our Philippine setting and system because "sa dami ng out of school youth, we must have an accessible system to accommodate them"- WRONG
Extended family and friends' reaction. Between the two, extended family's reaction is SUPER. It really shouldn't be coz again they were not thought of and therefore not responsible.
Five years fast forward, my eldest girl is back in school and loving it. My second, third and fourth are still at home, spending most of the day playing, reading together and about 30 to 40 minutes for my second working on her math. I want to do gardening this time. I think my 3rd and 4th will love it... We'll see...
Would I do it all over again?

Taken about 4 years ago with Peter (+).
We got ourselves a rabbit to love and learned all about rabbits, mammals etc....
YES, but I'd be more relaxed, less "planning" mode and take more pictures.

2 comments:

  1. oh lalala im on the same mode Alex. John and I were discussing about it. Im on the first step of the journey towards home schooling. it will be fun i hope. Alex, what about the depEd? did you register them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my children are not registered with any program from depEd. I have to say we are unschooling.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...