Pages

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kangaroo, My Guilt And Inspiration

I love my children to pieces but sometimes I seriously wish I were a kangaroo. And here are my reasons:
1. When my son wants me to carry him and my hands are busy. Oh I wish I had a pouch! Then I can roam the great vast plain or in mommy terms do the chores/ run errands with my baby hands free.
2. When I have to bring my 2 younger ones to a place where they might break something I have to pay for. Keep them in the pouch!!
3. When I want to walk really fast but have to slow down because my younger kids couldn't keep up. Keep them in the pouch and use that mighty tail and hop away!!!

Oh well, since I am not a kangaroo I get to leave my "joeys" at home to explore the great vast plain". So yesterday afternoon, I went to San Perdo Hospital (SPH) feeling a bit guilty. If I were not in SPH, I would be snuggling with my 4 precious ones reading "Commodore Perry in the Land of the Shoguns". This guilty thing always happens to me!!! So I started talking to myself. "Why wallow in guilt? You are her now! Make the most of it!!!"

I was  in SPH, thanks to the invitation of the very enthusiastic and soon to be dad Phrix Pondoc, to listened to Dr Socorro de Leon Mendoza, President of Kangaroo Mother Care (KMC). Her talk was entitled, "Kangaroo Mother Care, The Practice, The Science, The Relevance."  SUPER!!! Her talk made me want to cry! She was talking, showing pictures and research stuff of Low Birth Weight (LBW) and their mothers and fathers or with mother's friend. Holding them. Very tiny babies in their mothers' arms and breastfeeding! AMAZING!!!

 Mommies hug (KMC) versus incubator resulted in:
  • 50% fewer deaths among low birth weight babies due to infection (Fabella Hospital)
  • Higher breastfeeding rates after mother was discharged from the hospital
  • Savings due to less medical cost
Dr Socorro de Leon Mendoza with her
Low Birth Weight Doll
And she wasn't talking about mothers from another country but mothers like you and me here in the Philippines. She mentioned system changes and key people needed in the hospital setting so that Kangaroo Mother Care can be implemented. I left SPH inspired and hyper!!! They had the courage to do this to low birth weight babies! SUPER!!!! Then we can do this to full term infants as well!!! I wish I could share her whole talk here. Mommies, we can do so much for our babies!!! Come to think of it, I was a kangaroo all along but not for the reasons I wanted. Learn about Kangaroo Care and ready your tissue for this one

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful Alex! Wow, so nice to see that you have a blog na! :) Have been waiting to hear from you on FB. :) Anyway, keep in touch! God bless always! http://trulyrichmom.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...